Wednesday 25 July 2018

Day 61 - Ship Rock & Four Corners, NM

Today we were leaving New Mexico and heading to Colorado but first we had a ship to catch and 4 states to see all at the same time!

We left Navajo Lake State Park and headed towards Ship Rock, our first stop. As well as being a town in the Najavo Nation, a Native American Territory, this is also a huge rock which apparently looks like a ship. I'm not sure it looks exactly like a ship but given its the only thing around in an area that is mostly flat, I can see how it can be interpreted as a ship in a sea of water.










Once passed Ship Rock, we headed towards Four Corners. Four Corners is the only point in the USA where Four States border each other. If you're agile enough, you can put a limb in each state. I decided to jump thinking that if I was in the air above the state lines, I wouldn't be in any states. My plan would have worked had I done an impressive jump, instead the hundreds of people in the line waiting for their go on the point put the pressure on and I did a very feeble jump. Lee's crab worked out better even if it was a little predictable!










We have visited Four Corners before in 2009 but it has changed a lot since we last visited! The site is on Tribal Land and we don't remember previously having to pay entry, it wasn't as developed as it is now (with market stands all around the edge, pop up cafes in the car park and permanent but very stinky toilets) and it wasn't as busy! Last time we went, we were one of a few people looking around. This time, there were hundreds of people!!

After Four Corners, we headed over the border into Colorado, a state that Lee has been looking forward to visiting due to the amount of craft beer on offer. His eyes soon lit up with all the advertising we saw only miles from the state line!







Not far from the border, we reached our destination for the night, Mesa Verde National Park. More on this in the next blog!

Here' a little game - can you work out which flag from the Four Corners is for which state?

1)


2)


3)


4)


5 comments:

  1. OK so I think that 4 is Colorado and 2 gives me an impression of New Mexico. I am fairly confident of these two which hopefully means I'll have a 50/50 chance on the other 2 and I'm gonna guess; 3 is Arizona and 1 (can't really make anything out) is Utah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was waiting to see if anyone else wanted a pop at the quiz, but I can now put you out of your misery and say...

      Delete
  2. I agree, the rock doesn't really conjure a ship in the mind but I kind of get it from the long distance photo.

    A couple trip to 4 corners and Sam's jump is good enough to have you in flight and therefore in no state!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being in 4 States all at the same time don’t worry Sam although Lee’s crab looked quite good your jump took much more effort :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete